Saturday 3 November, 2007

Pharoah Sanders - Africa (1987)




Pharoah Sanders, originally Farrell Sanders from Little Rock, Arkansas, became well-known in the local jazz scene in Oakland, California, in the early 1960s. In the middle of the decade he moved to New York, where he worked with Sun Ra and other luminaries of the new jazz avant garde. He was asked by John Coltrane to join his group in 1965, and so became a part of Coltrane's most experimental unit. After Coltrane's death in 1967 he continued in musical collaboration with Coltrane's second wife, Alice.
Sanders is known for a distinctive sound, including a split reed technique. While primarily playing the tenor sax, he has also recorded playing the soprano sax, flutes, and percussion. He can coax unearthly sounds from the tenor saxophone, and, according to jazz legend, can cause a saxophone to continue to shriek for minutes after removing it from his mouth.
Through the 1970s he explored the melding of West and South African rhythms into free jazz, experimenting with layers of percussion and voices. By the late-'70s he began, like many jazz musicians, to coat his spiritually-tinged jazz with a glossy pop-funk sheen; in his case produced by drummer Norman Connors. In the 1980s he changed course to play the standards. In 1996 he returned to his "Nubian space jazz" sound with A Message from Home. He has also recently recorded albums in collaboration with African Gnawa musicians and in tribute to his mentor John Coltrane.

01. You've Got To Have Freedom
02. Naima
03. Origin
04. Speak Low
05. After The Morning
06. Africa
07. Heart To Heart
08. Duo

link @320

8 comments:

Nuage fiché qui rêve said...

One of the first jazz cd I bought. I notably like the powerful "You've got to have freedom" rendition, the joyous "Africa" and probably others that I don't recall now.
Recommended

Bravo !

bravo juju said...

Glad you like this. Naima is also good, as always: in fact, one of these days, I'd like to post here some sort of compilation with the Best Naima Interpretations in my collection.
Cheers.

Nuage fiché qui rêve said...

In that case I wouldn't be surprised if you include the Double 6 interpretation. Nice idea for a compilation

Best

Jo/No said...

Please do put together a comp of Naima's! Looking forward to it.

I'm a new reader (since today) but have already been convinced enough to putting your blog up among my recommende links over at my place:

www.jonosaudio.blogspot.com

Really interesting and varied selection you got here. Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Any and all Pharoah content much appreciated.
blessings

Anonymous said...

Many thanks!

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

rintesh said...

Thanks a lot for this!